Brandywine Soaring History and Archives
Our club has operated continuously from the New Garden Flying Field since the late spring of 1968. At the time it was known as the A.A.E. Soaring Club which had been officially incorporated in August of 1955 and initially flew from what is now known as the Delaware Coastal Airport in Georgetown, Delaware.
The initials A.A.E. stand for All American Engineering which was located in Wilmington, Delaware at the current Barley Mill Plaza complex but conducted the company’s research & testing at their satellite operation in Georgetown. Thirty company employees comprised the first membership roster and conducted operations with a newly purchased Schweizer SGU 2-22, registration number N91895.
This first club glider has been fully restored by the Massey Air Museum and can still be seen flying today in Maryland.
The club subsequently added a single place Schweizer SGS 1-26 to the “fleet” and in 1965 relocated it to the former Lovett Field in Elkton, Maryland while at the same time sending the Schweizer SGU 2-22 to Summit Air Park in Middletown, Delaware where it was leased for commercial use by the airport but still available for club members at club rates.
Three years after operating from its current location at the New Garden Flying Field, the club in 1971 decided to rename itself the Brandywine Soaring Association.
In 2016 the club re-organized as a non-profit 501 (c) (3) entity and has expanded its fleet to four gliders and a tow plane. Our latest acquisition was a newly customized two-place Schleicher ASK- 21 which was delivered directly from the factory in Germany.